Image Navigation

HomeAbout UsPhotosVideosShop

Sunday, August 14, 2011

One Month Alaskaversary!

Today marks one full month that Karl and I have been in Alaska!

Time has really flown by!  It does seem like a really long time since I have seen any friends or family, but I can't believe I've already been in this state a whole month.  We've gotten a lot accomplished - we have Alaska driver's licenses, our cars are registered in the state, we've changed addresses, and Karl has changed his cell phone to a local number.  We've each applied for several jobs, but no response to anything so far.

We are still living in Karl's dad's house, which is certainly challenging at times.  We're in an interesting position, because we can't pay rent if we aren't working, but we're really enjoying the freedom to travel, camp, and generally explore the state without the commitment of a job.  I'm still feeling burned out from my last job, and can only imagine going back to work if it's in a slightly different environment.  I'm hopeful that we'll be able to find jobs within another month or two, so we can get our own place sooner rather than later.  It's really hard to feel settled when 95% of all of my belongings are still boxed up and hard to even access.  It's also frustrating knowing that I can't even start harassing people to come visit until we are living in our own place.


Karl is happy to be back with his family and friends, and it's so nice to see him in his own environment.  I try to think of that when I'm feeling a bit out of place, and hope that it's only a matter of time before I can consider Alaska home.  Willow is quite content, although she's generally pretty easy to please.  She will probably be devastated once we are working again, because she's gotten very used to us both being around all of the time.

We have had so many opportunities to travel around the state, and there are still so many places to explore.  It's been very exciting to find a place I like and realize that I can go back whenever I want.  It's also so much less pressure, because we're not trying to fit 10 years worth of experiences into a 10 day vacation.


In short, life here in Alaska is still very new to me and I have my good days and my not so good days.  I am really looking forward to having a place to call my own and friends that will come to visit.  Until then, I'll just have to suck it up and keep visiting all of the beautiful places in Alaska!

Blueberry Week will start tomorrow - I couldn't ignore my Alaskaversary!

1 comment:

  1. Its nice to hear you're doing well. The job thing will happen, It's good to have time to "find yourself" too! Living with your inlaws is challenging. Good Luck!!!LOve ya like a sis!!!!XOXOXOXOXO Jodes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...